Thursday, March 6, 2008

Finally Going Upside Down

Well, today's the day. I leave for JFK in about 30 minutes and begin the epic journey across the world's largest ocean. After 5 months away from Adi, I am, needless to say, very excited to see him. That excitement is doing a good job of pushing any other emotions away, keeping me from focusing on being nervous about meeting his friends and family, sad about leaving my friends and family- most especially Joshie and Lucy- and even keeping me from being excited about the adventure part of this adventure.



One thing I've realized in the last few weeks as I've made my way around the country and said goodbye to people- from my newest Boulder friend to friends from high school and college- is what amazing friends I have surrounded myself with. You can all pat yourselves on your proverbial backs now. Seriously, I've been really touched by how just about every friend is genuinely happy for me. Either that, or everyone was just really really tired of the bitter Sheryl persona I'd created over the last decade! In any case, it's really nice that so many people who love me are appreciating my latest adventure.



As I look out onto the cold, gray day, Im also getting excited about the 80 degree weather that awaits. Granted, I'm heading into fall, but I have a few good days left down there.



This is not the first time I've begun an unfamiliar path, though I've never planned one away from home for this long. Another big change is that I've never really relied on anyone else during my adventures and of course, the magnitude of this move is due to the decision made by two of us. I'm extremly optomsitic about the relationship and the move but the whole compromising thing will be a change.



Finally, there's the whole "real" job- or as an old friend used to say- "jobby job". It will be nice to have a regular paycheck and know that when I'm not working, I'm not supposed to be working-- but I do imagine that by my fourth or fifth day, I'll wake up and go "again? They want me there AGAIN???!" But, I suppose having a career at the ripe old age of 37 isn't a bad thing.



Time to go to watch the toilet flush in the clockwise direction one last time so I'll sign off for now. My next posting will be from Oz...though probably not until next week :-) I'll be spending some quality time with Adi this weekend, and then I begin the process of meeting everyone in his world!



Comments and emails are welcome and of course, so are visitors!



G'day mates!

xxx

No comments: